Raffles & Bazaars Forms & Instructions
The following information is provided as a guide to assist applicants requesting permits to conduct raffles and bazaars.
Instructions For Raffles & Bazaars Application
The following steps should be followed in order to complete the application process:
1. Obtain an application package from the City Clerk's Office which will provide:
- An Annual Report Form
- Contact information for the Massachusetts Lottery Commission and Department of Public Safety
- An original application form
- A Personal Massachusetts Criminal History Record Request Form
- A Tax Assessment Verification Form
To apply for a permit to conduct raffles and bazaars, please use this Raffles & Bazaars Application Packet Form (PDF). Please note: This document is intended only as a process guide and should not be relied upon as a synopsis or representation of any kind whatsoever. Anyone who may be concerned with this matter is encouraged to engaged appropriate professional services in order to particular legal or financial assistance that may be necessary.
2. Complete the Application Form and have each person who is responsible for the function complete a Personal Massachusetts Criminal History Record Request Form (PDF) [CORI] and send the CORI form to Criminal History Systems Board as required.
3. Once a CORI report has been received from the Criminal History Systems Board, submit the completed Application Form and CORI report to the Lawrence Police Department Address for review by the Chief of Police or designee who must sign the approval section on the Application.
4. After approval is obtained from the Police Department, complete the Tax Assessment Verification Form (PDF) to each of the City Departments noted on the form for their review and stamp as required.
5. Upon obtaining all necessary Assessment stamps, return the Application and Tax Assessment Verification Form to the City Clerk for Review.
6. Once approved, the license will issue upon payment of $50 (payable by check, postal order, or money order only and to the City of Lawrence, MA - cash will not be accepted)
7. The license issued is valid for one year from the date of issue (unless otherwise noted on the license).
Note: The applicant must file 2 original copies of the Annual Report Form accounting for each functions conducted. The Annual Report must be filed within 30 days of the expiration of the permit issued. Additional or further licenses will not be issued unless and until the Annual Report is filed with the City Clerk and the Department of Public Safety as required
8. The it holder is solely responsible for any and all obligations and requirements regarding the reporting requirements
promulgated by any and all applicable city ordinances, laws, rules, and regulations that may apply. Information concerning raffles and bazaar laws and regulations are referenced in Massachusetts General Laws chapter 271, section 7A, Code of Massachusetts Regulations 940 CMR 12, 940 CMR 13, 961 CMR 4, and other citations and materials as may be promulgated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or the City of Lawrence.
9. The permit holder is solely responsible to obtain any and all additional licenses and/or permits required for any event conducted and must comply with all public safety requirements. Please contact the appropriate department of agency regarding these matters.