Senior Tax Work-Off Program
Program goals/ Program Benefits:
- To assist eligible senior citizens in meeting their obligation to pay property tax bill.
- To create a vehicle for seniors to apply their skills and life experiences.
- Maximum benefit will be $500.00 per household.
- Any tax payer age 60 + as of January 1st
- Must be the homeowner or current spouse of homeowner
- Must be a resident of Lawrence, MA
- Must own and occupy the property for which Lawrence taxes are paid
- Must be able to submit to and pass a CORI
- Must fill out and sign tax write-off application/ Must fill out all required documents/forms
- Must document, complete and sign record of hours worked
- City of Lawrence Employees are not eligible for this program; however spouses are eligible
Selection Process/Job Opportunities:
- Applicant must meet eligibility requirements
- Applicant must have appropriate skills for position
- Applicant and COA department head must both agree on work site assignment
- Placements offered will be based on qualifications, availability, locations, transportation and physical limitations
- Priority will be given to eligible applicants that have not participated in past years
- Placement based on individual departments needs
- The volunteer hours are 41.75 hours at an hourly rate of $12.00 per hour volunteer timeframe from
- March 1st to October 31th.
- Applications can be picked up and returned to the Lawrence Senior Center, 155 Haverhill Street, Lawrence, MA 01840 - 978-620-3550
- Application deadline is May 31st of the current year.
Massachusetts Law: Participants in the program may earn credits in addition to any property tax exemptions they may be eligible for under other statutes, such as personal property exemptions under MA General Law Ch. 59, Section 5or residential exemptions under MA General Law Ch. 59 Section 5C. Residents may also defer the balance of their taxes under MA General Law Ch. 59 Section 5 (41A) if they are eligible to do so. The City of Lawrence has adopted the provisions of MA General Law Chapter 59 Section 5K the reduction in property taxes is exempt from Massachusetts income tax but is not exempt from federal income tax. The City of Lawrence will issue a W-2 to all residents that participate in this program.