View all facilities

Durant Square


  1. Fountain


The triangle of land between East Haverhill and Berkeley Streets is shown in both the 1896 city annual report and also the 1896 atlas as Durant Square. It seems likely that Durant Square, which is next to part of the property he owned, was named after him. Adolphus Durant was the original owner of much of the land in the area. During the early years of the City the land just north of Spicket River was known as the “Durant Lands”.

Mr Durant was born in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts in 1798. In 1825 he purchased land in what was then Methuen on Brook Street where he ran a successful paper mill for many years. He was instrumental in laying out Avon, Albion, Belmont, and Kendrick Streets. He died in 1885.