What if I sold my car?

If an excise bill is received for a vehicle or trailer that has been sold, the seller must:

  • Return the plate(s) to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, obtain a plate return receipt and
  • File an application with the Assessors Office for an abatement together with the following:
    • Return plate receipt and the bill of sale
    • New registration form

The bill will be adjusted to reflect the portion of the year when the recipient of the bill owned the vehicle. It is important, however, to remember that the bill for a vehicle you no longer own should not be ignored. For more information, contact the Assessor at 978-620-3190.

Show All Answers

1. What is motor vehicle excise?
2. How is excise tax determined?
3. Who collects the motor vehicle excise?
4. When is payment due?
5. What happens if my payment is late?
6. What if I sold my car?
7. What if I've moved out of Massachusetts and / or Lawrence?
8. Can I get an abatement on my motor vehicle excise?
9. Under what circumstances might a motor vehicle excise abatement be warranted?
10. How does non-payment of motor vehicle excise affect license and registration?
11. What if I traded my car?
12. What if my car stolen?
13. Am I eligible for exemptions?
14. Where can I get more information about motor vehicle excise?