Prospect Hill Historical District Commission
David Bain, Jr.ChairmanPhone: 978-620-3500
Rebecca J. JaniVoting MembersPhone: 978-689-0037
Daniel McCarthyLand Use PlannerPhone: 978-620-3505
- Seven (7) full time member openings
- Prospect Hill Historic Commission consists of Five (5) full time members, and Two (2) associate members, which serve three (3) year terms
The Prospect Hill Historic Commission shall have the following responsibility;
- The district commission shall have all the powers of a historic district commission as described in chapter 40C of the Massachusetts General Laws. The commission shall adopt rules and regulations for the conduct of its business, not inconsistent with chapter 40C of the General Laws, or with the purpose of this chapter, and in accordance with the procedures set out in the Charter.
- The district commission may apply for, receive and accept on behalf of the city appropriations, grants and gifts for the furthering of the purposes of this chapter. It may establish an historic marker program; publish guides, maps and other appropriate publications to illustrate historical and architectural resources of the historic district. It may also administer any properties or lesser interests which may be acquired.
- The district commission shall propose changes in the Lawrence historic district boundaries and additional historic districts as it deems appropriate. Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 40C, will guide the procedures for these activities.
- The district commission shall coordinate historic preservation activities, and oversee the preparation and implementation of historic preservation plans.
- The district commission shall provide assistance to owners of historic structures on matters pertaining to preservation.
- The district commission shall act at all times with a clear understanding of the need of the residents of the historic district to enjoy the progress of contemporary life in the use of their home and properties.
All members of boards, commissions, authorities, and committees of the city, whether appointed by the mayor or the city council, shall be residents of the city unless otherwise provided for in the General Laws or in the Municipal Code, with the exception that no more than three members of the airport commission may be nonresidents. All applicants must be residents of the City of Lawrence. Download the application (PDF). Boards and commissions applications are also available at the:
City of Lawrence
Office of the Mayor
200 Common Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
Deadline for applications is until selected and filled. Please send your application to the above said address. Said appointment is subject to the appointment of the Mayor and the confirmation of the Lawrence City Council.
The City of Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer