- Office of The Mayor
- CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
- $300 Fine for Not Wearing Mask
$300 Fine for Not Wearing Mask
Mayor Daniel Rivera announces an Executive Order today from the Lawrence Board of Health requiring mask or facial coverings in public places. “Lawrence continues to have some of the highest Coronavirus counts in the Commonwealth. It is important for resident to remember that the best way to stop the spread is to stay home, unless you need food, medicine or medical attention.” said Mayor Dan Rivera. “As a community, we need to work hard to stop the spread. Effective at 6AM tomorrow, Wednesday, April 29th, residents and anyone traveling to Lawrence for essential business will be required to wear a mask when outside or in public places, or face a hefty fine.”
“We hope that this face covering measure helps reduce person to person transmission. As people go to and from work and on those rare occasions that they have to leave their house. I know that the primary way Lawrence residents are being infected is at work, and we beg workplaces across the greater Merrimack Valley to do a better job of maintaining social distancing, creating clean environments, giving staff access to PPE and giving their staff paid time off to deal with the effects of the virus,” said Mayor Dan Rivera. The Executive Order will take effect at 6AM on Wednesday, April 29, 2020.
Mayor Rivera’s Executive Order, through the City of Lawrence Board of Health, orders that:
- All persons over the age of five (5) wears a mask or some form of suitable covering over their nose and mouth (i.e. a homemade mask, a scarf, bandana or handkerchief) whenever (a.) entering into the inside of any building open to the public, (b.) using public transportation, taxis or ride shares, (c.) pumping gasoline or otherwise using outdoor self service facilities or (d.) engaged in any activity within a confined or enclosed facility where other members of the public are present or have routine access (e.) common areas in residential buildings.
- Every store, workplace, or other facility subject to this Order is authorized to refuse service to any person who fails or refuses to wear a mask or other facial covering while in such facility and is further authorized to expel such person from the facility.
- Any person entering onto any store, workplace, or other facility, and any person remaining in such store, workplace or facility, who declines or refuses to wear a mask or such other facial covering as required by this Order shall be deemed a Trespasser upon the property and may be subject to arrest and civil or criminal prosecution.
- Social distancing of six feet (6’) shall be adhered to while inside the store, workplace, or other facility. Clear markings of such distance shall be visible for persons entering such premises.
- Essential businesses shall ensure that employees and staff comply.
- Non Compliance = $300.00 Fine
- This Order does not apply to persons who are engaged in permissible outdoor physical activity, riding in a personal vehicle, alone in a separate, single space, or indoors with their own shelter group such as family or household members, although every such person is ADVISED that the use of a mask or facial covering is encouraged.
How to make a face mask at home, per Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html